Photographic Memory.


We all have a memory. As humans, we're given the power to remember. Now, it has been quite sometime that I wanted to be like sherlock. I mean, who doesn't? I know he's all idealistic kind of a figure and all. But, you know aiming for the stars lands you on the moon  and that kind of shit? Yeah. So I craved to be like Sherlock.

Now, what is one thing that Sherlock enjoys having the most? Dr.Watson? No. Photos on newspapers? No. Money? Sometimes. Attention? All the time. :I

But, that's not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about his powers. And the best hit from there would be a refined state of memory. Crystal clear. Like photographs. PHOTOGRAPHIC MEMORY.

I always wanted that. Infact, after completing Season 3 of the BBC Series, I read a book on How to Develop A Photographic Memory. However, I stopped after the first three to four pages. Not that the book was boring, but because I was impatient.

So, I bunked the idea anyway, and moved onto Game of Thrones. Being Tyrian lannister. Read Trying-To-Be-Tyrian...

However, lately, I was suggested Suits by Shradha Agarwal. A character called Mike, there, possesses photographic memory. My desires relinquished. I wanted that badly again. Photographic Memory! O, what a possession!

However, I knew it wasn't possible, not for me at least. I really had to work a lot on my patience prior to developing a photographic memory. So I bunked it again. The idea.

No, wait! I didn't.

Suddenly, last night I thought, maybe I can't (read don't want to) develop a photographic memory, but  a camera can. It can help me record and keep stuff. Stuff that I want to remember.

Alright, I made that^ up. Nothing of that sort happened. I was travelling in a bus and had this photo-series idea in mind in which I would take 5-6 pictures of events that were exclusive for that day, and continue this forever. I was looking for a project title, and boom!...there it was...PHOTOGRAPHIC MEMORY.

Sounds cool, doesn't it?

Haha.

That would not only help me record certain events in the form of photographs, but it would also help me improve on the art of photography. I always needed a reason to shoot. After attending the classes of Kaustubh Ray, at least.

So, there I was. All ready and shooting pictures throughout the day. Now, this is a series, so it needed a cover, a first page that introduces the concept. And the name of my blog is Visual Dementia, so I cannot do without an image.

Hence I made the poster.

___________________________________________________________________________________

The Idea:

The layout is that of a polaroid image. Not identical. But similar.

Inside the main frame is my head which is being formed by a lot of other polaroids with the image of a complete head in them. That is to represent, you know, the events that happen in our lives. All of them have traces of us (the complete heads) that go on to form a greater definition of ourselves (the head being built). The events are scattered. our identity, however, is more complete and kind of definitive.

Then there is a paradox. The complete head, that is being formed is just another image on another larger (main) polaroid. Which contains the title. This represents death. My death. Part where I die. My life cycle is complete. The polaroid formed. Purpose served. The image ends at death because this photo series is supposed to run throughout my lifetime. Everyday, 5-6 pictures of new/exclusive things, people, places, etc. that I come across.

It is in BW, because they say dreams are in BW. This project is a dream that will come true when I finish it. Plus, it looks good this way. :)

So, cheers to this! Haha. I like beating my own drum. :P And, you out there reading this, do follow the blog.

Thank you! :D

Comments

Popular Posts